Before we go into the circumstances that led to the above mentioned question or topic, I will want us first of all to understand what is meant by the word “truth”. Webster’s dictionary defines truth as the quality or property of keeping close to fact and avoiding distortion or misrepresentation. The dictionary went further to point out that truth can sometimes be difficult to arrive at by defining truth as a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality. Of course, the opposite of truth is untruth, lie, and falsehood.
Now that we have an idea of what the word “truth” is, we can now look at the circumstances that led to the question raised above.
It was during the period of the Jewish Passover Jesus has just been arrested and was led to the front of Annas who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas who was the high priest that year. Annas has heard of Jesus and His teachings and wanted to meet Him out of curiosity. Later Jesus was taken to the high Priest Caiaphas who asked Jesus of His disciples and doctrine. Jesus told him that He has taught and preached in public places and that He has done nothing in secret. Jesus then told Caiaphas to ask people who have heard Him teach. For this response, Jesus was slapped and manhandled because the guards felt He has insulted the high priest. This meeting between Jesus and Caiaphas was a private session to feel each other out. Later, Jesus was brought before the elders, the chief priests and the scribes. Jesus was tried and found guilty and was taken to Pontius Pilate the governor in order to have Him tried under Roman’s law and to have the death penalty they have sentenced Him to confirmed by the Roman governor. It was during Jesus trial by Pilate that he asked Jesus if Jesus was a king. Jesus responded by saying “thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Everyone that is of the truth heareth my voice”. (John 18:37). On hearing Jesus’ answer Pilate then asked, “What is truth?” (John 18:38).
Jesus of course did not answer this question for several possible reasons among which are:
- If He answers, Pilate will not understand nor believe in the truth.
- If Jesus answers, Pilate could believe Him and thereby set Him free which will be against the wish of God to have Jesus sacrificed as a lamb of atonement for the sins of the world. Remember king Agrippa who was trying Paul and was almost converted by Apostle Paul Act 26:28.
- Jesus did not answer in order to fulfill what was prophesied by Prophet Isaiah that “He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before His shearer, so opened he not his mouth: in His humiliation His judgement was taken away: and who shall declare His generation? For His life is taken from the earth.”
Even though Jesus did not answer the question in front of Pilate, He has given His followers insight into what is truth. Also the Holy Bible which contains the divine words of God also point us to the truth.
I want you to follow me now into the Holy Bible and also through Jesus teachings so that we can all see the truth. When we have found the truth, the truth will make us free (John 8:32) and relieve us of many fears.
- There is only one True God (I Tim. 2:5; Eph. 4:5-6) whose name alone is JEHOVAH (Psalm 83:18) and God dwells in Mount Zion (Psalm 9:2) of heaven. God over the years have been called by several descriptive names. These names in most cases are like titles or description of what God has done. God has been called for example: “God of Hosts”, “God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob”, “God”, “LORD”, “Alpha & Omega”, etc (see another paper by same author titled “An Ode to God” for more names). Most of these names are praises of God and also because out of respect for God people prefer to describe HIM instead of mentioning HIS name. The name of God is JEHOVAH and is valued above all other names, both on earth or in the heavens.
- You can use God’s name of JEHOVAH in prayer to Him. HE does not object what HE objects to is your calling HIS name in vain. It is a sin to call the name of God in vain. You are not to swear by God’s name under any circumstances. Let your “Yes” be “Yes” and your “No” “No”. “Of a truth I perceived that God is no respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34). This was Peter’s testimony.
- The HOLY BIBLE in its entirety is the word of God (2 Tim 3:16-17). No prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost of God. (2 Pet. 21-22). The word of God contained in the Holy Bible in it’s entirety is the truth (John 17:17) because God is God of truth and never lies. The Holy Spirit of God that spoke to the bible writers is the Spirit of truth (John 14:7). The word of God never fails and it endureth forever. This is the word which by the gospel is preached to you (I Pet. 1:25). No other books that express different idea is true. Do not put your trust in them nor in their propets.
- Jesus the Son of God. Jesus was of God and not created by God as other beings. Jesus is the CHRIST and the HOLY MESSIAH. Jesus existed before all things were made and in fact all angels, humans, animals, earth and the universe were made by Jesus as God instructed Him to. Nothing was made that has not the hand of Jesus in it. When God said let us make man in our image HE was talking to His Son Jesus. Jesus made man and God breathed life into him. All the old prophets prophecy about the coming of Christ and John who was sent from God identified Jesus as the Son of God and described Him as the “Lamb of God” and as the one “Baptizing with the Holy Spirit”. (John 4:26, John 1:1-2, John 1:29). God on several occasions identified Jesus as His Son (Luke 3:22, Luke 9:35). (John 17:5; 18:36; 5:18). Jesus is our mediator (I Tim. 2:5)
- The truth is very bitter like the gall and the world does not want to know the truth. The world hates the truth because the works thereof are evil. Anyone who loves the world hates the truth and those who hate the world love the truth.
- Our God is a living God and HE is the God of the living. Those who believe in HIM shall live as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Jesus, etc live on. God’s intention or purpose never changes but the means of achieving His purpose may change. God created the universe including the earth and all that is in it. God created man in His own image and gave man dominion over all that HE has created. God created man to be HIS very own. God loves man and expects man to reciprocate the love and to worship and serve HIM forever. Man rebelled against God by disobeying God, thereby bringing sin and death into the world. In order to reconcile the world to HIMSELF, God offered His son Jesus as a sacrifice so that through Jesus man can be washed clean of his sins and live forever again. There is nothing like ‘Evolution’. God created everything and that is why they are perfect. Evolution doctrine is a big LIE.
- Satan also known as the devil or Lucifer or the dragon or the serpent is real and is a liar and the father of the lie. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him (I John 8:44). When he speaks he lies and deceives for he is a liar and a deceiver, and the father of both. Satan is the father of the false gospels, false churches, false prophets, and all other religions except Christianity that goes strictly by the words of the Holy Bible. Sometimes Satan deceives believers by portraying himself as a child of God and his angels as angels of light. So, be on the lookout for him. Don’t be deceived by him or his messengers. The Bible called him your adversary, that is, your enemy.
- Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life: NO MAN comes to the father (God) but by Jesus (John 14:6). You may be good or you may think you are good but you will not be saved unless you know and believe in Christ. No matter how religious or zealous you are if you don’t know Christ you will be judged on the last day and you will be condemned because you have not believed in the only Son of God. People of all religions except true Christians will be held accountable and judged on how they have lived their lives and all will be condemned to eternal damnation. None of them will be saved because they have sins in them. Seek Jesus while you can.
- Jesus is the living bread of life, the light of the world and the eternal stream (living water). Anyone that eats of the bread, drinks of the water, and walks in the light shall live forever; and Jesus will raise him/her up at the last day. Such a person will not be judged because Jesus has done his punishment for him and because he believes in Him he will be saved. Those who do accordingly and since they cannot be without at least one sin they shall be condemned and they will see the wrath of God which is eternal damnation and a life spent in Hell fire. (John 6:35, 7:12).
- Whoever committed sin is the servant of sin and therefore in bondage to Satan. But if Jesus makes you free, you will be free indeed. Therefore repent and confess your sins and ask for forgiveness through Christ.
- Anyone who loves the world cannot be saved. For you cannot serve two masters the world and God. Therefore, repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. You can still be saved just like the thief on the cross (Luke 23:40-43). God wants to save as many people as believe in Him and Jesus His son. (John 12:26).
- People have said that we have been talking about the last days for almost two thousand years and have wondered when will judgement day come. It is true that the preaching has been going on for almost two thousand years but the last day has not come. God talks of the “last days” and the “last day”. We are in the last days but only God knows the last day which is the day of judgement. Everyone that has existed and died will be brought to life to be judged and condemned except those whom Jesus has bought with His blood of sacrifice. The judgement day or the last day is not something that will be secret we will all see it (Matt. 24:27) because it will be a day of joy for those saved by Christ. It is going to be a day our LORD JESUS shall judge the world. There will be gnashing of teeth on that day for unbelievers and the believers shall shine (Matt. 13:43).
I also want to point out that a thousand years in the eye of man is like a day in the eye of God. Also God is not concerned with time as we are. Lastly, the mercies of God and the fact that HE wants everyone to hear the gospel (Matt. 24:14) may have also delayed the judgement of God. Now that Eastern Europe, South Africa and the rest of the world is opening up for the Gospel, I sense the end is near.
- God has the right to do what HE wants on the earth and in the Universe. The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 24:1, “the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein”. There are some people, nations, religions that have risen to challenge the authority of God. Some have said God has no son or cannot have a son, others have questioned why the son of God should come out of Galilee or should be a carpenter, others are still waiting for a Messiah or a Christ and they did not believe in Jesus. These people will not see salvation unless they change and accept Christ as He is.
- God answers prayers of those faithful to Him and His Son Jesus. God also answers prayers of sinners that want to repent and turn away from their sins. God is a merciful and loving Father, long suffering, and a forgiver (John 14:13-14; John 16: 23, 26; Psalm 51:17).
- We are still under all the commandments of God both old and new commandments. However, Jesus coming and crucifixion have made some of the old commandments
(ceremonial laws) null and void. For example, it is no longer a requirement to go to Jerusalem Temple to worship as God has divorced HIMSELF from the Temple that is why the Temple curtain was torn when Jesus died on the cross. Circumcision according to the Law of Moses is no longer a requirement for salvation. There is no need anymore to sacrifice lamb or any animal for remission of sins because Jesus perfect blood is perfect for sins cleaning and the use of the blood is forever, that is, once for all times. God is Spirit and is Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscience.
- God has given you authority over the Sabbath day to use as you please. But God wants you to use it to worship HIM, to rest, and to do good works only, that is, to take care of emergencies. God hates it when you turn it into another working or money making day. (Matt 12)
- Pastors or Elders of churches are encouraged to work and not depend on the congregation for their daily food and clothing and if they must be paid by the church money for full time Pastors or deacons they must receive basic living allowance to cover their food, clothing, shelter and transportation. They are not to live in luxury on money meant for the work of God and the feeding of the poor. They must not be greedy of filthy lucre. (I Tim. 3:8, I Pet. 5:1-3, Act 20:33-35).
- No amount of work or quality of work man does can save man from the penalty of sin which is death. Salvation can only be obtained when one believes Jesus as the Savior. Salvation is a gift (Eph. 2:8, 9) which we receive and then we possess salvation. There is assurance of salvation. To have assurance of salvation is to be absolutely confident that we are saved and that if we died suddenly, we would go immediately to heaven. Salvation is eternal life; it is the life of God; it is Divine life. If one possess eternal life, then he is saved for time and eternity. “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hands,” (Jn. 10:28, 29; Isaiah 43:11).
- I have heard some people say Christians don’t have to fast. The truth is that fasting helps your prayer and helps in the work of God. Fasting when properly done also makes you clean since there are some things you can do and there are some things you cannot do such as having sex, eating, fighting or saying unclean words or lying etc. Jesus is not against fasting and he said in Matt. 6:15-18 “Moreover when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you they have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; that thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto God, which seeth in secret, God shall reward you openly”. On another occasion Jesus told His disciples that only through fasting and prayer can some healings or God’s work be done. (Acts 13:2-3, Luke 5:35).
- I have heard some teachers say the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit and miracles and the different gifts of the Holy Spirit are out and that they stopped happening with the early Christian church. This is not true. To say that all these things are no more is to say that God is dead and we believers know that God is alive and well. I know it is important to safe guide these people against false teachers, churches and prophets. We should find another way of protecting them but not by false doctrine. (Acts 1:8, I Corinthian Chapter 11, 12, 13, John 14:16; Acts 2:1-12, 16, 4:31). Despise not prophesying says God (I Thess. 5:20) and speaking in tongues.
- Give cheerfully for God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:6-8). If you have the means give alms to the poor and help people in need of your help. When the collection plate is brought to you during your Sunday worship, give cheerfully and generously. At the end of the month contribute your pledge of one-tenth of your earning. By doing this you are doing the work of God. Your money will be used to do the work of God. God said in the Book of Malachi 3:8-12 that you should test HIM by making the contribution of your one tenth and see wonders. Many have done it and it makes a difference in their lives (Luke 6:30, 35-36, 38) It has lots of promises. See Malachi 3:8-12 yourself.
- I have heard some people preach that Jesus is God Almighty. It is true that He is (Isaiah 9:6, 7; Jn. 10:30; Rev. 1:8; Rev 11:17; Rev. 15:3). Jesus is the Almighty JEHOVAH.
- If you love Jesus and God you will keep His commandments. If you don’t keep His commandments your love is false. (John 14:23). Why do you call be Lord and refuse to obey my commandments? Jesus asked.
- Jesus is the Christ (Matt. 16:16) and the Savior sanctified by God and sent into the world. He became a man from being God. He was sinless and righteous. He suffered and died for you and I so that through His death and the shedding of His blood we may have remissions for our sins so that we may be saved from God’s judgement and wrath. The road to salvation is narrow and we must strive to get in. Jesus is the door and nobody goes to the Father God without going through Him. Jesus is the Good shepherd who laid down His life for the flock – that is His believers. So (John 8:42; 10:9-11, 15, 27-29) that we might turn to God. God of Hosts said “Turn to ME, and I will turn to you” Malachi 3:7.
- Jesus is the Son of God. He was conceived of the Holy Ghost through a virgin named Mary. Jesus taught the people about God because He has seen God and did many wonderful works (miracles) including raising people from the dead. He was arrested, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death by the high priests, elders and scribes in Isreal. He was handed over to the Roman Pontius Pilate who never found Him guilty but gave in to the demand of the elders to have Him crucified. Jesus was crucified and died. On the third day He rose from the dead and appeared briefly to His followers to let them know that even though He was dead. He has risen again. Jesus told them, “Because I have risen from the dead, you shall too on the day of resurrection” and you shall live for ever. (John 11:25-26; 16:28: Act 2:31) Jesus has since then returned to His former post in heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father (Acts 2:33-35; Acts 7:55-56). Jesus is the resurrection and the life.
- People have often wondered about salvation. Series of questions have been raised on the subject matter. Samples of questions are: “What must I do to gain eternal life?” or “what can I do to be saved?” or “Can the work of God I did or money contributed to church get me salvation?”. First of all salvation is FREE gift of God given by Grace alone (Eph. 2:8-9). You can’t work for it or pay for it. However, how you spent your life, your believe in God and Christ are certainly pluses. Jesus told the young lawyer (Luke 10:25-37) and the young ruler (Luke 18:18-25) to keep the commandments of God, to the rich young man (Matt. 19:17-21) Jesus said “sell all you have give to the poor and follow me”, and to Nicodemus (John 3:3, 5-6) Jesus said “Truly, truly, I say unto you, except a man be born again that is of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God”. Paul and Silas told keeper of the prison (Acts 16:31) “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shall be saved”. This is my advice to you too and do it now. (Prov. 27:1)
- Jesus promised His followers resurrection and a new life. Resurrection is when a person that is dead physically is made to live again or when a person that is dead spiritually is made to be spiritually alive. Jesus was resurrected by His father God and He will deliver on His promise to His followers. The world may pass away but God’s word will not pass away without being fulfilled. Simultaneous with the day of judgement will believers receive their new bodies and start a new life. A new life with no Satan and no evils, a life of love, kindness, and full of praises of God and His Son in heaven. The new body given to believers are bodies that does not lust after worldly things that the old bodies lust after. In the resurrection people are not married or given in marriage. The number saved is fixed. No more parents and we are all equal before God.
- On the day of judgement every knee shall bow to Jesus and confess Christ as the Lord, the Son of God (Phil. 2:11). Both believers and unbelievers because everyone shall see Christ in His glory. If you are an unbeliever shouldn’t you turn to Christ now and confess Him as your Lord and Savior since it will be too late to do it on the judgement day. Don’t take any chances, do it right now. You may not be as fortunate as the thief on the cross. Do you want to spend eternity in Hell with torments or live a perfect life of bliss with Jesus Christ in heaven?
- God is spirit and our Lord Christ has also become spirit being. Those that worship God must do so in spirit and in truth. They must have faith and be unwavering. Be careful in your attempt to represent God with objects on your alter or in your church service for people have been known to use the cross, paintings of Christ, angels, Mary the mother of Christ and other things to represent God. The Holy Bible is enough to place on your alter because it is the true word of God and you may need to refer to it.
- God warned us to be sober, be vigilant; because our adversary the devil (Satan), as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour: and that we should resist him by being steadfast in faith (I Pet. 5:8-9). In Ephesians 6:13-18, God advises us to take unto ourselves “the whole armour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; and above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God: praying always with all prayers and supplication in the Spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints”.
- Only God can save and HE does it through Jesus HIS Son alone. “I, even I, am the LORD, and beside ME there is no Savior”. (Isaiah 43:11).
- Even babies and unborn babies are judged when not saved (Ps. 59:3-5)
- Any sacrifice of blood done in the world today is done to the Devil or idols. Christians should desist from partaking in such. We must not eat what is offered to idols. (Ps. 51:17; Matt. 9:13; Heb. 13:15; I Cor. 8; Acts 15:28)
- Do not compromise. The God of the Bible is not the god of the Moslems nor is HE any idols worshipped in the world. (Ps. 2:7; Matt. 3:17; 16:16; Heb. 1:5; 2 Pet. 1:17; I Jn. 2:23; I Cor. 11:26; Lu. 23:33; Acts 2:23; I Cor. 2:2; Sura 2:116; 4:157; 4:171; Sura 9:30, 31).
These truths that have been presented are just some of the truths contained in the Bible. There are many more truths to be discovered if you endeavor to read the Bible yourself. Discover the truth, read the Bible. Jesus said that the road to salvation is narrow and that we must strive to pass through the narrow way. Having a map to guide you will certainly help you to find your way. The Holy Bible is your map and the Holy Spirit your compass. May the Almighty God guide you in your search for the truth and may HE count you worthy of HIS grace and eternal salvation. Amen.
To the God of truth be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.